Lyon, a colourful… and tasteful destination
With a rich historical past and a remarkable cultural heritage, Lyon is associated with gastronomy, conviviality, the know-how of master craftsmen, represented more particularly by the silk workers for the silk trades… Staying for some days in our city means tasting this very special lifestyle, exploring the different quarters and streets with their typical stalls and “bouchon” restaurants. An unforgettable cultural and gourmet experience!
Lyon is said to be the worldwide capital of gastronomy: poultry – from the neighbouring Bresse -, cooked meats – Rosette, Jesus, Lyon sausage -, offals, quenelles, gratin dauphinois, sugared almond tart and sugar galette… There is something for all the tastes. Enjoy!
VDid you mention the “bouchon”? The Lyon bouchon is today, at a time when the Lyon gastronomy is increasingly appreciated throughout the world, a place with an unchanging decoration, a frank and convivial atmosphere where simple and authentic food is served, often generously, made with produce from the terroir and accompanied by wines like Beaujolais or Côtes-du-Rhône* served in “pots” of 46 centilitres with a thick glass bottom.
*To be enjoyed with moderation.
Our bouchon addresses:
- Chez Abel - 25, rue Guynemer - 69 002 Lyon
The +: Lyon institution since 1726, a bourgeois bistro serving regional specialties in an ancient decoration.
- La Mère Mounier - 3, rue des Marroniers - 69 002 Lyon
The +: You feel as if you were at home; ask for their specialty: Lyon quenelle!
- Le Garet - 7, rue du Garet - 69 001 Lyon
- Le Café du Jura - 25, rue Tupin - 69 002 Lyon
The +: Lyon institution for great food. Taste the “apron of sapeur” on a winter evening!
- La Meunière - 11, rue Neuve - 69 001 Lyon
- Chez Hugon - 12, rue Pizay - 69 001 Lyon
- Café des Fédérations - 9, rue Major Martin - 69 001 Lyon
Our gourmet restaurant addresses
- Paul Bocuse - 40, rue de la Plage - 69 660 Collonges-au-Mont-d’or
- Christian Tetedoie - Montée du Chemin Neuf - 69 005 Lyon
Oour café addresses
- Grand Café des Négociants - 1, place Francisque Régaud - 69 002 Lyon
- Bistrot des arts - 20, rue Auguste Comte - 69 002 Lyon
- Halles de Lyon - 102, cours Lafayette - 69 003 Lyon
- C. Reyon (caterer) - 13, rue des Archers - 69 002 Lyon
- La Mère Richard (cheesemaker) - 102, cours Lafayette - Halles de Lyon - 69 003 Lyon
- Bernachon (chocolatre maker) - 42, cours F Roosevelt - 69 006 Lyon
Since 1998 Lyon has been inscribed on Unesco’s world heritage list. The recognition of a remarkable architectural and urban richness. From Mansart to Jean Nouvel, from Soufflot to Buren… many great names are associated with this city! Between the opera, the Celestin Theatre, the Fourvière basilica and the Bartholdi fountain, monuments testify to the vitality and shining of Lyon throughout the centuries and eras. Not to forget the traboules – the traditional passages which allow people to move from one building to the next… Up to you to find them in the Old Town!
A puppet show of Guignol and his mate Gnafron, a boat ride on the river Rhône, a visit to the aquarium, a shopping day in the commercial thoroughfares, the House of the Silk Workers, the Museum of Fabrics and Decorative Arts… Moments of joy, shared pleasures and discoveries for a marvellous stay in the Lyon capital! By bike, boat or on foot…
Benefit from your stay in Lyon to explore the region. Sceneries, towns and villages are both cultural and savoury stops. As far as the terroir is concerned, discover the vineyards of Beaujolais. During summer they play variations of green whilst in autumn a symphony of shimmering colours takes over. A pleasure for the eyes and the palate! As far as architecture is concerned, stroll through the medieval town of Pérouges. And for the gourmets, enjoy the Pérouges butter cake, a specialty which people of all ages like.
We recommend to you:
- The Beaujolais vineyards
- The village of Pérouges
- The Dombes
- The Rhône valley
- On the tracks of the Roman aqueduct of Chaponost
- Excursion to the undergrowth of Saint-Cyr-au-Mont-d’Or